How to Determine Which Process to Automate in Your Organization
Some people understand the value of robotic process automation technology but are still stuck on how to get started. Some people not doing it on a daily basis, starting process finding for automation can be devastating.
What does the unique process to automate look like?
It is a challenge to recognize the right process for robotic process automation implementation. The process must meet precise specifications before automation takes place. However, it is worth finding that it’s the correct one – this ensures excellent ROI.
Processes that need automation must have the following characteristics:
- it must be tedious work (so you can free up capacity to do more value-added
- it requires many app screens and mouse clicks;
- it happens regularly and impacts more than one employee;
Identify the processes to automate step-by-step
Get started with process automation with the following steps:
Step 1: Talk to process owners and department leaders about RPA implementation possibilities.
- Only if they know about it, they can give you valuable feedback and input.
- Brainstorm together possible robotic process automation technology solutions.
- In the case that you have problems coming up with ideas, ask questions like “Do you have a process which could be better if you had real-time reports?”, “What processes do co-workers find demotivating because they are tedious?”.
- Do not focus on business process automation, the process in general and how co-workers’ daily routine work could be improved where some tasks are automatically completed.
Step 2: Compile all ideas based on talks and brainstorming event
- Categorize ideas by the different “processes” they are connected to.
Step 3: Value: capture what outcome to anticipate from each
- In this step, we want to capture what value your ‘process idea’ could bring to your team/company.
- For example, if saving time and data accuracy increases because of averting human data entry errors, what value does this bring to our company?
- Do not just think of ROI as a monetary measure.
Step 4: Prioritize our ideas
- We have captured our ideas and what they can deliver for our company. After that, you have to figure out what to automate first.
- We suggest looking at more than just the expected returns (errors reduced, time saved, the importance of real-time data, processing time reduced).
- Ease of implementation considered. We suggest going for a rapid win, e.g. fewer policies affected, fewer systems affected, fewer departments involved.
The point of this exercise is to create an actionable list of the correct processes for robotic process automation and get your results as quickly as possible.
At BoTree Technologies, we build enterprise applications with our RPA team of 25+ engineers.
Consulting is free – let us help you grow!
Choose Your Language
- Digital Marketing
- IT Consulting
- Project Management