Ruby on Rails vs Python: What’s The Difference?
Ruby & Python are one of the most widely used programming languages in the world. Both are powerful & dynamic server-side scripting languages that provide rapid development of web applications & prototypes. Python developers around the globe prefer it due to its simplicity in coding while ruby on rails developers agree that ruby’s flexibility in programming gives it the leading edge that is required for creating interactive web applications.
Guido Van Rossum created Python in the late 1980s and agrees even today that he didn’t know python development would gain so much traction among the developer community. The syntax is simpler as it is based after the FORTRAN line. Youtube, Quora, Dropbox & Redditt are a few websites that have incorporated Python in their architecture.
Ruby was created by Yukihiro Matsumoto in 1995 for providing an interactive & dynamic framework to develop web apps. It is an object-oriented programming language that offers a diverse set of libraries for writing the same code in different ways. Basecamp, Shopify & Groupon are a few web applications that utilize ruby on rails development in their web framework.
Differences between Ruby on Rails Development & Python
While both are world-class programming languages for both startups & established companies, there are major key differences that may result in one’s selection over the another. Python is preferred in the academic curriculum while ruby on rails web development is categorically more popular than python.
- A central philosophy of python development is the utilization of iterative processing that can easily integrate with the programming language’s internal features. However, iterative development is rare in ruby and developers prefer not to use it that much.
- The module rich-library of ruby & the community that offer RubyGems is a wide & innovative community of developers that continuously add new functionality to the framework. Python also encompasses a vast library, but the creation of new modules is slower but stable enough to enhance the applications.
- One key difference is python’s ability to manage high-traffic on websites that involve the use of big data, mathematical sequences, and scientific operations. It can handle heavy amounts of data & process it with ease. Ruby on Rails development is great for implementing in web applications with high-traffic complex websites.
- While ruby’s interface is simple & interactive, it doesn’t offer flexibility. The commonly used framework for ruby is ruby on rails. Python offers a whole library of interfaces with UNIX/POSIX variants but chooses to select or poll depending on the situation. The most commonly used framework for python is Django.
- Python thrives on several academic use cases of Math and Science and it is only accelerating with each day. Ruby on Rails development serves one of the largest developer community on GitHub which has only gotten diverse with time.
Python and Ruby are both excellent programming language for developers with efficient processes & a huge community. Python development is preferred where big data is involved while ruby is a great framework for high-traffic applications. Choosing one over another is a difficult choice as both have become the top-notch languages for varied types of applications.
At BoTree Technologies, we build enterprise applications with our Python team of 15+ engineers.
Consulting is free – let us help you grow!
Choose Your Language
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
- Digital Marketing
- IT Consulting
- Project Management