Pros and Cons of RPA for Digital Enterprises
Most companies have a fair enough idea about “what is RPA technology?”.
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is a great enabler for digital transformation. It enables companies to automate their mundane, repetitive operations and allow human resources to focus on creating productive outcomes.
Enterprises understand the importance of automation for their operational efficiency. Robotic Process Automation as digital enterprise services is transforming how humans and machines collaborate to work in a better manner. But the pros and cons of RPA technology will help companies decide whether it is the right fit for them or not.
RPA software development enables your enterprise to automate mundane and repetitive tasks with the help of bots. However, one needs to understand whether RPA tools are a boon to the organization or just an additional cost.
Because like most technical advancements, there can be disadvantages of RPA technology for your business. You need to consider both advantages and disadvantages of RPA before making the final decision.
This article will highlight some of the pros and cons of Robotic Process Automation technology. We will understand how RPA is beneficial for enterprises and when it can act as an obstacle to achieving operational efficiency.
While most people just focus on RPA software in a positive light, there are a few downsides to it as well. We will highlight where RPA can be a hindrance so that you can make the right decision in implementing RPA tools or not. RPA advantages and disadvantages will help assess where the technology can help companies and where it can’t.
Pros of RPA
If you want to know how RPA technology works, you need to start by understanding the benefits it offers. By installing RPA software and bots, companies can automate repetitive tasks. These bits work with the help of triggers.
Once you give the command, the software will start automatically and automate every process with the help of bots. Here are some of the pros that companies using RPA technology get in the long run:
- Improved efficiency
- One of the biggest benefits of RPA is that it reduces the time taken to complete operations. Whether it’s data entry or providing information to the sales team, bots can reduce the time by up to 70 percent.
- Since these mundane and repetitive tasks, RPA tools can easily complete them without any hindrance. The workflow is seamless as the software can handle a massive amount of tasks at once without getting tired or exhausted.
- Increased accuracy
- RPA software tools are much more accurate than human personnel. The latest RPA technology can be given specific tasks that have certain outcomes. Since bots don’t get tired, exhausted, or frustrated, they can’t make any more errors than humans make.
- The risk of human errors is high when people are not excited and engaged with their work. RPA tools don’t care whether it is a data entry task or something that is going to take hours. They will repeatedly perform the same action until the entire operation is complete.
- Higher productivity
- When an RPA developer deploys the bots, the software takes over. It gives employees the opportunity to explore more creative and productive avenues. They can focus on decision making activities and pursue operations that directly contribute to more output.
- Some of the RPA examples in healthcare shows that when RPA software does office tasks, the staff can focus on serving patients and delivering care in a much better manner. Knowledge workers can also focus on adding value through innovation and creativity.
Apart from these major benefits of the technology behind Robotic Process Automation, it also leads to cost savings, lower turnover, and 24×7 availability to perform the operations.
However, not all is hunky-dory with RPA. Let’s look at where it can be a hindrance to digital enterprise services.
Cons of RPA
Only a few have ever talked about the disadvantages of RPA technology. The history of RPA technology is filled with examples of efficiency and positive deliverables. Often the disadvantages of RPA development are neglected but they are present, whether one wants to believe it or not.
However, there are times when Robotic Process Automation doesn’t deliver the promised results. It may not even be suitable for some enterprises.
Here are a few disadvantages of RPA technology for enterprises:-
- Skilled staff requirement
- Many companies face this disadvantage where they want to implement RPA but don’t have the necessary resources to do that. While RPA doesn’t require a lot of technical know-how, the latest RPA technology needs assistance from skilled experts.
- RPA companies provide the right resources but hiring them can be a challenge. Since there is a lack of expert RPA developers, many enterprises suffer from the lack of technical staff for RPA implementation.
- Job losses
- Probably the biggest disadvantage of RPA technology is the potential job losses that will occur. Many experts in the industry are concerned about the number of people who will be out of job with the implementation of RPA. Traditional jobs like data entry and others still employ a large number of people.
- It is one of those limitations of RPA that’s still not fully understood. While it will give them the opportunity to focus on and develop creative skills, there will be massive job losses as automated bots will replace the enterprise staff.
- Employee resistance
- With the fear of job losses, there will be obvious resistance from employees for RPA adoption. This is one of the leading challenges of RPA implementation. This will delay the implementation process as many employees will not be comfortable with bots taking up their jobs.
- The ones who keep their jobs may not feel safe working with bots and see them as potential threats. While the collaboration of RPA software and human personnel is essential to succeed, getting all the stakeholders and employees on board could be a challenge that could hinder the RPA technology process for your digital enterprise.
Conclusion: RPA Technology is not always a Boon
Automation may be worth it when you have planned properly and are ready to deploy bots with careful insights. However, you don’t need Robotic Process Automation (RPA) technology when you don’t have massive amounts of data to sort through. RPA is great for MNCs and mid-sized enterprises. But small businesses may still survive for a while without looking towards RPA.
If you want RPA implementation and a team that can enable you to adopt enterprise-wide RPA technology, our RPA developers at BoTree Technologies can assist you.
Give us a call today and consult for free with our RPA Team lead.
Choose Your Language
- Digital Marketing
- IT Consulting
- Project Management