Understanding the Pros and Cons of Java Software Development
Java is the 5th most used programming language used by developers globally in 2021. It has a market share of 35.35% in terms of worldwide usage. Even though the programming language has been here for years, it is still taking up large space in the modern programming ecosystem. Java software development is a prominent choice among startups and enterprises even when there are hundreds of new languages like Python, R, Scala, and more.
Java solutions are prevalent in all types of organizations as it is the most widely used programming language across the globe. Java is an open-source programming language that developers can write once and use anywhere because of its cross-platform development capabilities.
The primary uses of Java involve building mobile, scalable, and dynamic products. Some of the Java software development projects include enterprise applications, web & mobile apps, desktop software, gaming applications, GUI solutions, Machine Learning & Data Analytics solutions, and much more. Today, Java is one of the most widely used technologies in modern-day applications in AI and Big Data.
This article will highlight the pros and cons of Java software development services. It will look at why most companies use Java and why there are talks around Java not being a sustainable and competitive programming language anymore.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Java Software Development
There are several advantages and disadvantages of Java. However, this article is not a guide to convince developers to use the programming language or discourage them from utilizing it to build software solutions. It will focus on the objective advantages and disadvantages of Java, so that developers and companies can make informed decisions while choosing the programming language for their projects.
Of course, enterprise Java development may not be suitable for all companies but those who know what Java provides to them can determine whether it’s a useful programming language for their project or not.
The Pros of Java Software Development
Here are some of the benefits and applications of Java software development –
- Object-oriented Language
- In programming, there are various ways to deal with how engineers handle information and its framework. There’s procedural programming that comprises composing methodology/strategies that perform information tasks. OOP or Object-Oriented Programming, then again, permits engineers to make objects that contain the two information and techniques.
- With Java, designers can control objects and make connections between different items, upgrading the adaptability and reusability of the code.
- Platform Independent
- Java programming software is totally free of the basic platform dependencies. Insofar as there is a Java Virtual Machine accessible, the assembled code will run – on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Unix and others. This significantly builds the reach of the application without adding to the measure of development activities required.
- Developers can write code once and then run it anywhere. It is one of the most admired features of Java software development examples as it enables engineers to test the code and product features on different platforms with ease.
- The programming style of Java is direct, simple to code, learn, keep up with, and comprehend, the code is effectively debuggable. It is a highly simple programming language as well, enabling Java experts to write the code and then involve beginners on the project without any confusion.
- Besides, Java is less perplexing than languages like C and C++, on the grounds that a large number of the mind boggling elements of these programming languages are being taken out from Java like express pointers, storage classes, overloading, and some more.
- Java really decreases security dangers and vulnerabilities by trying not to utilize unequivocal pointers. Pointers once in a while cause unapproved access to memory as it stores the memory address of different attributes & values.
- As the idea of pointers doesn’t exist in Java programming language, this isn’t an issue. The pros of Java software development additionally offers a security layer for every application that permits designers to characterize rules for authorization to each class.
The Cons of Java Software Development
Here are some of the disadvantages of Java and why developers hesitate to use it:
- Paid Programming Language
- Many of the programming languages in the world today are open-source and free to use by developers. However, Oracle has stated that they will charge for Java Standard Edition 8, which is a big drawback for startups that are looking for a low-priced solution for their software development needs.
- However, it should not affect companies much that aren’t looking for long-term support from Oracle. They can continue using the standard & free version of Java.
- Performance Issues
- When contrasted with other languages, Java software solutions are fairly memory-consuming and slower. As it is a high-level language, all the lines of code have to be converted into machine-level language. This can slow execution in light of the additional degree of abstraction and aggregation.
- Java’s garbage collector is a valuable component, yet it sometimes causes execution issues also because of exorbitant memory and trash assortment utilization. It is more or less a great programming language but often presents problems that can be resolved using another programming language.
- Poor UI Experience
- To make a program’s graphical UI (GUI), designers utilize diverse language-explicit tools. In this way, for Android applications, there’s Android Studio that makes applications that look and feel native. There are a couple of GUI manufacturers Java developers can browse: Swing, SWT, JavaFX, JSF being the most well known.
- SWT utilizes native elements however it’s not appropriate for convoluted UI. JavaFX is spotless and current looking, yet entirely it’s not exceptionally full grown. By and large, picking a solid match for your GUI expanding on Java requires extra deliberation.
- Readability Issues
- Many Java developers would attest to the fact that the Java code is verbose and involves a lot of lines of code. It means that the work that could be done in fewer coding syntaxes in other programming languages requires more effort in Java.
- There are complicated sentences and the code is difficult to understand sometimes. Developers need to comment specifically if there are any changes they want in their Java software development projects.
Most enterprise software development companies keep on utilizing Java software development services because it is a profitable programming language. It has been in use for years and hasn’t presented problems. With the advent of Machine Learning and Big Data, the language is back in action – just like in its peak days. We hope that the above pros and cons of Java development will enable you to make informed decisions.
Contact us today for a FREE CONSULTATION.
Choose Your Language
- Digital Marketing
- IT Consulting
- Project Management