Python vs Node.js: Which is Best for your Web Application?
The right technology matters for your web application. It enables matching your expectations with the technology’s capabilities. When deciding the tech stack for web development, understanding their characteristics is important for outcome delivery. We will focus on Node.js vs. Python in this article as the technology for building web applications.
Identification of the right technology helps you identify the feature development potential, budget, and scalability, among other attributes. Python and Node.js are both relevant and powerful. They provide the capabilities to build dynamic web applications.
85% of Nodejs developers use it for web application development. On the other hand, Python is now the most popular programming language, according to TIOBE. Now, what’s the difference?
Checkout Top 10 real-world Python Use Cases and Applications
What is Python, and What is Node.js?
Before understanding their uses, let’s look at what they are. Python and Node.js are useful for the same functions — web app development. However, both are different in their definition and characteristics.
Python developers and Nodejs developers can both work with Machine Learning. While Python is useful for AI, Node.js enables developing chatbots and real-time applications.
Let’s have a look at each of the technologies in detail.
Why use Python for Web Development?
Python is a game-changer technology stack. It enables developing powerful, scalable, enterprise-grade web applications with diverse integrations. Python is useful in data science, game development, CMS portals, desktop GUI, scientific applications, DevOps, software testing, and more.
Python principles are useful in dynamic customer-centric and enterprise applications. Let’s see the Python advantages that make it perfect for web development.
Python has an easy learning curve. It is a beginner-friendly language taught as an introductory programming language in universities across the globe. Most mistakes in Python are manageable — it doesn’t block the process with minor code issues. Their syntax is similar to the English language, enabling swift development.
The programming language is known for its powerful development. Python libraries and the syntax itself, combine to develop some of the most robust applications. These apps don’t lag. The language is well-documented and versatile. The backend becomes extremely dynamic when written in Python, enabling more customizations.
Python development services offer the utmost flexibility. The language doesn’t follow conventions. When used with Django, developers can customize the environment on-the-go. Python does follow the DRY principle, enabling developers to reuse the code. It minimizes the time in the development of web applications.
- Rapid prototyping
Because of the above Python features, the programming language helps in building rapid prototypes. Startups can quickly get marketable products in much less time. It also reduces the product development cost. Through quick iterations, you can update the product with the latest releases and improve upon it.
Read more: Pros and Cons of Python: A Definitive Python Web Development Guide
Why use Node.js for Web Development?
Node.js is useful for building applications that support multiple operating systems. It is valuable for building real-time server applications. Node.js for web development is the choice for companies because of its amazing performance. It enables result-driven web development with ease.
Let’s look at some of the Node.js advantages while building web applications.
- Flexible development
- Full-stack development
Node.js is highly-useful for frontend and backend development. The full-stack capabilities make it perfect while hiring a software development company. It reduces the cost of hiring developers separately for both functions. It also shortens the development cycle, enabling quick product development.
Now that we understand the advantages of using Python and Node.js let’s see a comparison between the two. It is based on several factors. We will look at how each technology aligns with the specific parameter.
Read more: Node JS Development: Why do IBM, Paypal, and SAP use it
Node.js vs Python: A Comparison
Comparing a programming language(Python) and run-time environment(Node.js) is difficult in terms of their development capabilities. Most people may consider Python as a heavy language for backend and Machine Learning. On the other hand, Node.js is considered as the framework for server-side applications. We will compare them on the following parameters:
- Development Speed
- Product Scalability
- Learning Curve
- Libraries & Tools
- Ease of Development
Let’s have a look at these factors and the performance of Python and Node.js on these parameters.
- Development Speed
- Node.js is not suitable for multitasking and writing simultaneous code at once. This leads to a relatively slower speed of development and lower performance. The focus on other functionalities might lead to a lag that you didn’t expect.
- Python is fantastic for multitasking. It enables reusing the code for faster development. Python frameworks have built-in solutions to handle too many functions at once. There are less technical expectations that the Python developers need to meet.
- Product Scalability
- Node.js builds the asynchronous architecture in a single thread. The structure reduces the number of errors while developing web applications. It enables handling multiple requests at once and helps in building scalable applications.
- Python does not support asynchronous architecture. However, it is extremely useful for building scalable, enterprise-grade applications. It may not be as scalable as Node.js. Python delivers robustness while building Machine Learning apps with heavy algorithms.
- Learning Curve
- Python is universally accepted as a beginner-friendly language. It has a simple syntax that doesn’t require heavy understanding. The syntax is similar to the English language. Apart from that, Python features enable writing less code to achieve more outcomes.
- Libraries & Tools
- Node.js has no competition when it comes to third-party tools and libraries for development. The Node Package Manager has over 350,000 packages for adding features and functionalities in web applications. There’s a library for almost every function that developers might need. The libraries enable swift and easy development. Node.js has the largest repository of libraries in the world of programming.
- Python libraries are well documented and managed by “Pip Installs Packages.” These libraries are powerful and support the development of everything from enterprise web apps to heavy Machine Learning algorithms. Most libraries in Python are really easy to deploy in apps.
- Ease of development
- Node.js offers deploying the application faster. The development process becomes simpler as full-stack developers can easily work on the framework. While the installation is tricky, Node.js is useful for applications with server-side requirements. Apart from that, it enables quick development for all applications.
- Python is easy to learn, implement, and run. Python-based frameworks like Django, Flask, and others simplify the process through their intrinsic features. Developers don’t have to worry about installing the framework as it can be done with one-click. Python’s performance improves when it is used with Django for web development due to Django’s capabilities and tools. Checkout difference between Django and Flask.
Python or Node.js: Which One to Choose?
Node.js and Python are both extremely relevant and useful for building web applications. They have wide communities, with members growing everyday. Node.js is suitable for I/O applications, JSON-API based applications, Data streaming apps, and Single-Page Applications(SPAs).
On the other hand, Python’s prowess lies in building business apps, data science, web apps, GUIs, and scientific computations. Python is more useful today than ever as it combines AI capabilities with web development to deliver world-class applications.
The decision to choose a technology stack remains with you. Both Python and Node.js have uses in different industries as well. Building web applications is challenging when the technology is not right. Identify your requirements first and then decide whether Python will work best or to go with Node.js web development.
Choose Your Language
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
- Digital Marketing
- IT Consulting
- Project Management